The second half of the 1970s was hard for Oleofina. Unprofitable departments were sold off: the candles to Vermorgen, the soap to Christeyns, and the food section to Safinco, a shareholder of Van De Moortele in Izegem. In 1980 the tide changed: Petrofina bought up all Oleofina shares from Ashland and investments were made in both plants (Ertvelde and Oelegem).
In 1965 Oleochim nv of Ertvelde bought up Bougies de la Cour nv of Oelegem. With the merger PetroFina displayed a far-reaching interest in oleochemistry. With Oleochim situated beside the Ghent-Terneuzen sea canal, and Bougies de la Cour beside the Albert Canal, ideal transport possibilities were opened up.
In 1957 PetroFina, together with Ashland (USA), established Oleochim nv in Ertvelde with its registered office in Brussels. The establishment of Oleochim allowed PetroFina to branch out from petrochemistry into oleochemistry. Oleochim chiefly produced fatty acids based on vegetable or animal fats.